Professor of Church Innovation and Evangelism & Director of Doctoral Studies
Acadia Divinity College invites applications for a full-time Professor of Church Innovation and Evangelism and Director of Doctoral Studies. This faculty member will have primary responsibility as the Director of Doctoral Studies, providing leadership to the Acadia Divinity College’s Doctor of Ministry program.
This is an open-rank, tenure-track position that is directly accountable to the President of Acadia Divinity College, reporting through the Associate Dean, and advances the mission and strategic vision of the College in the following areas:
1. Preparation of Christian Leaders
The Professor of Church Innovation and Evangelism will contribute to the training of students preparing for ministry in the contemporary church and for further study. In particular, the incumbent will be committed to the church and exploring the future shape of the church, and the development of church leaders equipped for today’s challenges and opportunities.
The incumbent will serve as the Director of Doctoral Studies with responsibility for the promotion, organization, oversight, and direction of the Doctor of Ministry program. They will teach undergraduate, graduate, and Doctor of Ministry courses in evangelism and local mission, and contemporary church renewal and growth on campus in Wolfville and in a hybrid-flex format.
2. Innovation in Theological Education
The Professor of Church Innovation and Evangelism will contribute to the institutional culture of evaluation and innovation. In particular, the incumbent will conduct and publish research on trends and developments that will impact the future life of the church and theological education, and explore themes such as contemporary forms of church, diversity and community, church and technology, and church and evangelism.
3. Community Engagement
The Professor of Church Innovation and Evangelism will join the College in a shared commitment to seek transformation of our community and the communities we serve. In particular, the incumbent will contribute to the administrative and student life of the College, support the mission of the Canadian Baptists of Atlantic Canada (CBAC) partially expressed through membership in one of the churches belonging to the CBAC, and embrace the opportunity of working in an encouraging environment with a culture of cross-disciplinary work.
Candidates for the position should have:
- A passion for the flourishing of the church;
- A completed doctoral degree in a relevant discipline;
- A proven track record of church leadership;
- An established record of research and the ability to engage new ideas and apply them in practical ways to the life of the church;
- Aptitude for teaching introductory and advanced courses in contemporary church and evangelism, employing creative and progressive pedagogies and technology;
- Experience with doctoral work including a demonstrated ability to supervise graduate theses at the master’s and doctoral levels;
- An understanding of the potential and challenges of equipping Christians to serve the church well in a diverse contemporary culture;
- Experience with the use of technology in theological education and the church, and a commitment to educational and ecclesial innovation;
- Experience with the use of relevant technology for theological research;
- A willingness to embrace a pastoral role in the preparation of students for Christian ministry; and
- An openness to shared, cross-disciplinary work within the Faculty of Theology team.
Applicants must be able to enthusiastically endorse and personally support the mission and theological position of the College. ADC makes every effort to hire exceptional individuals. Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
Review of Applications will continue until the position is filled.
Starting Date: July 1, 2023 (an earlier date is negotiable)
Salary will be based on rank, qualifications, and experience. Acadia Divinity College offers a competitive salary based on Canadian norms and standards, in addition to a comprehensive benefit package.
Qualified candidates wishing to be considered for this position should send electronically in PDF format:
- A letter of application succinctly addressing the required qualifications and attributes;
- Curriculum vitae;
- Names of at least three referees and their contact information; and
- A teaching and research portfolio.
to: Eveline DeSchiffart, Senior Executive Assistant to the President
For further information about Acadia Divinity College, view the job description.
We thank all applicants in advance and advise that only those invited for an interview will be contacted. The College reserves the right not to fill this position.
Acadia Divinity College (ADC) is a warmly evangelical seminary located on the campus of Acadia University in Wolfville, Nova Scotia, Canada. We welcome women and men from all church backgrounds to study in a faithfully innovative Christian community. As both the seminary of the Canadian Baptists of Atlantic Canada and the Faculty of Theology at Acadia University, ADC offers degree programs at the bachelor, master, and doctoral level, as well as continuing education programs for pastoral leaders and congregational lay ministers.
ADC is an accredited seminary of the Association of Theological Schools in the United States and Canada. The College is certified by the Canadian Council of Christian Charities.