We’ve collected a list of some of the best resources available related to various aspects of the practice of ministry.
Click the tabs below for a listing of books, websites and various resources in that area.
Be sure to check back often as we periodically add more recommendations for resources. Bolded titles are required texts for related ADC courses.
How can we understand God’s call for direction in our vocation?
- Guiness, Os. The Call: Finding and Fulfilling the Central Purpose of Your Life. Nashville: Thomas Nelson, 2003.
- Palmer, Parker J. Let Your Life Speak: Listening for the Voice of Vocation. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2000.
- Smith, Gordon T. Courage & Calling: Embrace Your God-Given Potential. Downers Grove: Inter Varsity, second ed., 2011.
- Smith, Gordon. Consider Your Calling: Six Questions for Discerning Your Vocation.Downers Grove: Inter Varsity, 2016.
- Warren, Rick. The Purpose Driven Life. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2002.
How can we discover and develop our spiritual gifts?
- Fortune, Don, and Katie Fortune. Discover Your God-given Gifts. Chosen, rev. ed., 2009.
- Kise, Jane, David Stark and Sandra Krebs Hirsh. Life Keys: Discover Who You Are. Minneapolis: Bethany House, second edition, 2005.
- ___. Life Keys Leadership Resource. Minneapolis: Bethany, 1998.
- Kise, Jane, Kevin Johnson, and Karen Eilers. Find Your Fit: Unlock God’s Unique Design for Your Talents, Spiritual Gifts, and Personality. Minneapolis: Bethany House, rev. ed., 2018.
- Rees, Erik. SHAPE: Finding & Fulfilling Your Unique Purpose For Life. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2006.
- Schwarz, Christian. The 3 Colors of Your Gifts. Berrien Springs: NCD America, rev. ed. 2017.
- Wagner, Peter. Your Spiritual Gifts Can Help Your Church Grow. Regal, rev. ed., 2005.
How can churches develop gift-based ministry?
- Bugabee, Bruce. What You Do Best in the Body of Christ. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, rev. ed., 2005.
- Cordeiro, Wayne. Doing Church as a Team. Ventura: Regal, rev. ed., 2004.
- Ogden, Greg. Unfinished Business: Returning the Ministry to the People of God. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, revised edition, 2003.
- Schalk, Christoph and Jon Haley. How to Implement The 3 Colors of Ministry in Your Church. Carol Stream: Church Smart, 2001.
- Schalk, Christoph. How to Use The 3 Colors of Ministry in a Mentoring Relationship. Carol Stream: Church Smart, 2001.
- Schwarz, Bridgette. How to Study the 3 Colors in Your Small Group. Carol Stream: Church Smart, 2001.
How can clarifying calling shape selecting occupations and searching for jobs?
- Bolles, Richard. What Color Is Your Parachute? A Practical Manual for Job-Hunters & Career Changers. Berkeley: Ten Speed Press, 1999.
- Brennfleck, Kevin, and Kay Marie Brennfleck. Live Your Calling: A Practical Guide to Finding and Fulfilling Your Mission In Life. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2004.
- Buckingham, Marcus. Go Put Your Strengths To Work. New York: Free Press, 2007.
- Covey, Stephen R. The 8th Habit: From Effectiveness to Greatness. New York: Free Press, 2004.
- Siciliano, Tom, and Jeff Caliguire. Shifting Into Higher Gear: An Owner’s Manual For Uniting Your Calling And Career. San Francisco: Jossey Bass, 2005.
- Rath, Tom. Strengths Finder 2.0. New York: Gallup Press, 2007.
How can mentors strengthen skills and attitudes to coach others?
- Campbell, Regi and Richard Chancy. Mentor Like Jesus. Nashville, TN: Broadman & Holman, 2009.
- Houston, James. The Mentored Life: From Individualism to Personhood. Colorado Springs: Navpress, 2002.
- Logan, Robert and Sherilyn Carlton. Coaching 101: Discover the Power of Coaching. St. Charles: Church Smart, 2003.
- Logan, Robert and Gary Reinecke. Coaching 101 Handbook. St. Charles: Church Smart, 2003.
- Pue, Carson. Mentoring Leaders: Wisdom for Developing Character, Calling and Competency. Grand Rapids: Baker, 2005
- Pue, Carson, and Doug Birdsall. Mentoring Wisdom: Living and Leading Well. Pickering: Castle Quay, 2011.
- Reese, Randy and Robert Loane. Deep Mentoring: Guiding Others on Their Leadership Journey. Downers Grove: InterVarsity, 2012.
- Stoltfus, Tony. Coaching Questions: A Coach’s Guide to Powerful Asking Skills. Virginia Beach: Coach22 Bookstore, 2008.
- Whitmore, John. Coaching for Performance: The principles and practices of coaching and leadership. Boston: Nicholas Brealey, fifth ed., 2017.
- Zachary, Lois and Lory Fischler. The Mentee’s Guide: Making Mentoring Work for You. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2009.
- Zachary, Lois. The Mentor’s Guide: Facilitating Effective Learning Relationships. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, second ed., 2011
How can leaders cultivate their inner life?
- Bandy, Thomas G. Why Should I Believe You? Rediscovering Clergy Credibility. Nashville: Abingdon, 2006.
- Barton, Ruth Haley. Strengthening the Soul of Your Leadership: Seeking God in the Crucible of Ministry. Downers Grove: InterVarsity, 2008.
- Blackaby, Richard, and Henry Blackaby. Spiritual Leadership: Moving People to God’s Agenda. Broadman & Holman, 2001.
- Herrington, Jim, Trisha Taylor, and R. Robert Creech. The Leader’s Journey: Accepting the Call to Personal and Congregational Transformations. Grand Rapids: Baker, second ed., 2020.
- Linhart, Terry. The Self-Aware Leader: Discovering Your Blind Spots to Reach Your Ministry Potential. Downers Grove: InterVarsity, 2017.
- McNeal, Reggie. A Work of Heart: Understanding How God Shapes Spiritual Leaders. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2000.
- Nouwen, Henri. In the Name of Jesus: Reflections on Christian Leadership. New York: Crossroad, 2002.
- Scazzero, Peter. The Emotionally Healthy Leader: How transforming your inner life will deeply transform your church, team, and the world. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2015.
- White, John. Excellence in Leadership: Reaching Goals with Prayer, Courage & Determination. Downers Grove: InterVarsity, reprinted 2006.
How can empowering leaders bring out the best in others?
- Bolsinger, Tod. Canoeing the Mountains: Christian Leadership in Uncharted Territory. Downers Grove: InterVarsity, 2018.
- Kouzes, James, and Barry Posner, eds. Christian Reflections on the Leadership Challenge. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2004.
- Kouzes, James, and Barry Posner. The Leadership Challenge. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, sixth ed., 2017.
- Ledbetter, Bernice M., Robert J. Banks, and David C. Greenhalgh. Reviewing Leadership: A Christian Evaluation of Current Approaches, second ed. Grand Rapids: Baker, 2016.
- Macchia, Stephen. Becoming a Healthy Team. 5 Traits of Vital Leadership. Lexington: LTI Publications, second ed., 2014.
- Nelson, Gary, and Peter Dickens. Leading in Disorienting Times: Navigating Church and Organizational Change. Puente Publications, 2015.
- Ogden, Greg and Daniel Meyer, Leadership Essentials: Shaping Vision, Multiplying Influence, Defining Character. Downers Grove: InterVarsity, 2007.
- Roxburgh, Alan, and Fred Romanuk. The Missional Leader. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2006.
- Schwarz, Christian A. The 3 Colors of Leadership. St. Charles, IL: Church Smart Resources, 2012.
- Stanley, Andy. The Next Generation Leader. Portland: Multnomah, 2003.
How can pastors grow in their primary roles and responsibilities?
- Blodgett, Barbara and Matthew Floding, ed., Brimming with God: Reflecting Theologically on Cases in Ministry. Eugene: Wipf & Stock, 2015.
- Dawn, Marva, and Eugene Peterson, The Unnecessary Pastor: Rediscovering the Call. Vancouver: Regent College Publishing, 2000.
- Floding, Matthew, ed. Engage: A Theological Field Education Toolkit. Lanham: Rownman & Littlefield, 2017.
- Hansen, David. The Art of Pastoring: Ministry Without All the Answers. Downers Grove: Inter Varsity, rev. ed., 2012.
- Hilllman, George, Jr. Ministry Greenhouse: Cultivating Environments for Practical Learning. Herndon: Alban Institute, 2008.
- Hilllman, George, Jr., ed. Preparing for Ministry: A Practical Guide to Theological Field Education. Grand Rapids: Kregel, 2008.
- Peterson, Eugene. Working the Angles: The Shape of Pastoral Integrity. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, reprinted 2000.
- Smith, Mandy. The Vulnerable Pastor: How Human Limitations Empower Our Ministry. Downers Grove: Inter Varsity, 2015.
- Tan, Siang-Yang. Shepherding God’s People: A Guide to Faithful and Fruitful Pastoral Ministry. Grand Rapids: Baker, 2019.
- Willimon, William. Pastor: The Theology and Practice of Ordained Ministry. Nashville: Abingdon, rev. ed., 2016.
Who are some good conversation partners for strengthening small groups?
- Alpha Canada
- Dr. Bill Donahue
- Joel Comiskey Group
- Small Group Churches
- Small Group Leadership
- Small Group Network
What are some foundations for why we meet together?
- Atkinson, Harley. The Power of Small Groups in Christian Formation. Eugene: Wipf and Stock, 2018.
- Bonhoeffer, Dietrich. Life Together. New York: Harper & Row, 1954.
- Comiskey, Joel. Biblical Foundations for the Cell-Based Church: New Testament Insights for the 21st Century Church. Moreno Valley, CA: CCS Publishing, 2012.
- Comiskey, Joel. 2000 Years of Small Groups: A History of Cell Ministry in the Church. Moreno, CA: CCS Publishing, 2014
- Donahue, Bill. The Irresistible Community: An Invitation to Life Together. Grand Rapids: Baker, 2015.
- Gorman, Julie A. Community That Is Christian: A Handbook on Small Groups. Grand Rapids: Baker, second ed., 2002.
- Icenogle, Gareth. Biblical Foundations for Small Group Ministry. Downers Grove: Intervarsity, 2006.
- Latini, Theresa F. The Church and the Crisis of Community: A Practical Theology of Small-Group Ministry. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2011.
- Myers, Joseph. The Search to Belong: Rethinking Intimacy, Community, and Small Groups. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2003.
- Schwarz, Christian. The 3 Colors of Community: How the 7 Communal Qualities of Healthy Small Groups can help you overcome the 7 Deadly Sins. Fordelm, 2012.
- Vanier, John. Community and Growth. New York: Paulist, rev. ed., 2002.
How can we develop abilities, attitudes, and practices for leading a small group?
- Arnold, Jeffrey. The Big Book on Small Groups. Downers Grove: InterVarsity, rev. ed., 2004.
- Bennett, Diana. Renewing Your Church Through Healthy Small Groups: 8 Week Training Manual for Small Group Leaders. Lexington, MA: LTI Publications, 2016.
- Boren, M. Scott. Leading Small Groups in the Way of Jesus. Downers Grove: InterVarsity, 2015.
- Bunch, Cindy, ed. Small Group Idea Book. Downers Grove: Intervarsity, rev. ed., 2004.
- Cloud, Henry, and John Townsend. Making Small Groups Work. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2003.
- Donahue, Bill, Leading Life-Changing Small Groups. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, third ed., 2012.
- Gladen, Steve. Leading Small Groups with Purpose: Everything You Need to Lead a Healthy Group. Grand Rapids: Baker, 2012.
- Kirk, J. Alex, et. al. Small Group Leaders’ Handbook. Downers Grove: InterVarsity, rev. ed. 2009.
- Mack, Michael. World’s Greatest Small Group: 7 Powerful Traits of a Life-Changing Leader. Peewee Valley, KY: Small Group Leadership, 2017.
- Miller, Tara, and Jenn Peppers. Finding the Flow: A Guide for Leading Small Groups and Gatherings. Downers Grove: Inter Varsity, 2008.
- O’Neal, Sam. Field Guide for Small Group Leaders. Downers Grove: Inter Varsity, 2012.
- Search, Bill. Simple Small Groups: A User-Friendly Guide for Small Group Leaders. Grand Rapids: Baker, 2008.
How can we cultivate community with healthy systems and strategies?
- Boren, M. Scott. Beyond Small Groups: From Programmatic Meetings to Flourishing Communities. The Center for Community and Mission, 2018.
- Comiskey, Joel, and Jim Egli. Groups That Thrive: Seven Surprising Discoveries about Life-Giving Small Groups. Moreno Valley, CA: CCS Publishing, 2017.
- Donahue, Bill, and Russ Robinson. Building a Life-Changing Small Group Ministry. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2012.
- Donahue, Bill, and Greg Bowman. Coaching Life-Changing Small Groups. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, rev. ed. 2012.
- Egli, Jim, and Dwight Marble. Small Groups, Big Impact: Connecting People to God and One Another in Thriving Groups. Moreno Valley, CA: CCS Publishing, 2014.
- Frazee, Randy. The Connecting Church 2.0: Beyond Small Groups to Authentic Community. Grand Rapids, Zondervan, second ed. 2013.
- Gladen, Steve. Planning Small Groups with Purpose: A Field-Tested Guide to Design and Grow Your Ministry. Grand Rapids: Baker, 2018.
- Searcy, Nelson, and Kerrick Thomas. Activate: An Entirely New Approach to Small Groups. Grand Rapids: Baker, 2008.
- Stark, David, and Betty Veldman Wieland. Growing People Through Small Groups. Minneapolis: Bethany, 2004.
- Stetzer, Ed, and Eric Geiger. Transformational Groups: Creating a New Scorecard for Groups. Nashville: B&H Publishing, 2014.
- Surrat, Chris. Small Groups for the Rest of Us: How to Design Your Small Group System to Reach the Fringes. Nashville: Thomas Nelson, 2015.
- Zempel, Heather. Community Is Messy: The Perils and Promise of Small Group Ministry. Downers Grove: InterVarsity, 2012.
How can we create spaces for exploring faith questions and joining God’s mission?
- Arnold, Jeffrey. Small Group Outreach: Turning Groups Inside Out. Downers Grove: InterVarsity, 2009.
- Boren, M. Scott. Missional Small Groups: Becoming a Community That Makes a Difference in the World. Grand Rapids, Baker, 2010.
- House, Brad. Community: Taking Your Small Group Off Life Support. Wheaton: Crossway, 2011.
- Poole, Gary. Seeker Small Groups: Engaging Spiritual Seekers in Life-Changing Discussions. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2009.
How can we deepen our discipleship in partnership with one another and with God?
- Barton, Ruth Haley. Life Together in Christ: Experiencing Transformation in Community. Downers Grove: InterVarsity, 2014.
- Dougherty, Rose Mary. Group Spiritual Direction: Community for Discernment. New York: Paulist, 1995.
- Dougherty, Rose Mary, ed. The Lived Experience of Group Spiritual Direction. New York: Paulist, 2003.
- Foster, Richard, and James Bryan Smith. A Spiritual Formation Workbook: Small Group Resources forNurturing Christian Growth. New York: Harper, rev. ed., 2007.
- Fryling, Alice. Seeking God Together: An Introduction to Group Spiritual Direction. Downers Grove: InterVarsity, 2009.
- Kropf, Marlene and Daniel Schrock, ed. An Open Place: The Ministry of Group Spiritual Direction. New York: Morehouse, 2012.
- Webb, Heather. Small Group Leadership as Spiritual Direction: Practical Ways to Blend an Ancient Art into Your Contemporary Community. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2005.
How can we create spaces for all ages to grow and serve together?
- Allen, Holly, and Christine Lawton Ross. Intergenerational Christian Formation: Bringing the Whole Church Together in Ministry, Community, and Worship. Downers Grove: InterVarsity, 2012.
- Comiskey, Joel. Children in Cell Ministry: Discipling the Future Generation Now. Moreno Valley, CA: CCS Publishing, 2015.
- Comiskey, Joel. Youth in Cell Ministry: Discipling the Next Generation Now. Moreno Valley, CA: CCS Publishing, 2016.
- Griffin, Josh, and Doug Fields. 99 Thoughts for Small Group Leaders: Tips for Rookies and Veterans on Leading Youth Ministry Small Groups. Group, 2010.
- Hanson, Amy. Baby Boomers and Beyond: Tapping the Ministry Talents and Passions of Adults Over 50. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2010.
- Houston, James, and Michael Parker. A Vision for the Aging Church: Renewing Ministry for and by Seniors. Downers Grove: InterVarsity, 2011.
- Polich, Laurie, and Charley Scandlyn. Small Group Strategies: Ideas and Activities for Spiritual Growthin Your Students. Grand Rapids: Zondervan/Youth Specialities, 2011.
How can we deepen our knowledge by learning together?
- Kuhatschek, Jack, and Cindy Bunch. How to Lead a Life Guide Bible Study. Downers Grove: InterVarsity, 2011.
- Ogden, Greg. The Essential Commandment: A Disciple’s Guide to Loving God and Others. Downers Grove: InterVarsity, 2011.
- Olesberg, Lindsay. The Bible Study Handbook: A Comprehensive Guide to an Essential Practice. Downers Grove: InterVarsity, 2012.
- Osborne, Larry. Sticky Church. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2008.
- Perkins, Robert. Bringing Home the Message: How Community Can Multiply the Power of the Preached Word. Eugene: Cascade, 2014.
How can we journey together through challenging circumstances and life changes?
- Baker, John. Celebrate Recovery Updated Leader’s Guide: A Recovery Program Based on Eight Principles from the Beatitudes. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, rev. ed., 2016.
- Greggo, Stephen. Trekking Toward Wholeness: A Resource for Care Group Leaders. Downers Grove: InterVarsity, 2008.
- Popkin, Michael. Active Parenting 4th Edition, Leader’s Guide. Marietta, GA: Active Parenting Publishers, 2014.
- Popkin, Michael, Melody Popkin, and Sue Allen. Christian Active Parenting, Leader’s Guide. Marietta, GA: Active Parenting Publishers, 2015.
- Wolfelt, Alan. The Understanding Your Grief Support Group Guide: Starting and Leading a Bereavement Support Group. Companion Press, 2004.
How can we facilitate healthy teamwork?
- Bellman, Geoffery, and Kathleen Ryan. Extraordinary Groups: How Ordinary Teams Achieve Amazing Results. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2009.
- Bird, Warren, and Ryan Hartwig. Teams that Thrive: Five Disciplines of Collaborative Church Leadership. Downers Grove: InterVarsity, 2015.
- Lencioni, Patrick. The Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A Leadership Fable. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2002.
- Lencioni, Patrick. Overcoming the Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A Field Guide. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2005.
- Kaner, Sam. Facilitator’s Guide to Participatory Decision-Making. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, third ed., 2014.
- Macchia, Stephen. Becoming a Healthy Team. 5 Traits of Vital Leadership. Lexington, MA: LTI Publications, second ed. 2014.
How can we team up in preaching and worship?
- Calvin Institute for Christian Worship: http://worship.calvin.edu/ (an amazing range of resources)
- Gibson, Scott M. Should We Use Someone Else’s Sermon? Preaching in a Cut and Paste World. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2008.
- Quicke, Michael. Preaching as Worship: An Integrative Approach to Formation in Your Church. Grand Rapids: Baker, 2011.
- Vanderwall, Howard, and Norma deWaal Malefyt. Designing Worship Together: Models and Strategies for Worship Planning. Herndon: Alban, 2005.
- Yoder, June, and Marlene Kropf. Preparing Sunday Dinner: A Collaborative Approach to Worship and Preaching. Scottsdale: Herald, 2005.
How can spiritual disciplines fire up our passion for deeper preaching and worship?
- Calhoun, Adele Ahlberg. Spiritual Disciplines Handbook. Downers Grove: InterVarsity, rev. ed., 2015
- Campolo, Tony and Mary Albert Darling. Connecting Like Jesus: Practices for Healing, Teaching, and Preaching. San Francisco: Jossey Bass, 2010.
- Edwards, J. Kent. Deep Preaching: Creating Sermons that Go Beyond the Superficial. Nashville: Broadman and Holman, 2009.
- Johnson, Jan. Meeting God in Scripture. Downers Grove: InterVarsity, 2016.
How can we dig up insights from studying the biblical text in context?
- http://bestcommentaries.com/ (Collected, averaged reviews from scholars and other ministries)
- Center for Excellence in Preaching: http://cep.calvinseminary.edu/resources/ (commentary tips)
- Chapell, Bryan. Christ-Centered Preaching: Redeeming the Expository Sermon. Grand Rapids: Baker, 2nd ed., 2005.
- Knowles, Michael. Of Seeds and the People of God: Preaching as Parable, Crucifixion, and Testimony. Eugene: Cascade Books, 2015
- Wright, Christopher J. How to Preach the Old Testament for All Its Worth. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2016
How can we clearly, concisely, creatively sum up the sermon (with a clear focus)?
- http://www.gordonconwell.edu/ockenga/preaching/Links-and-Media-Resources.cfm (preaching websites)
- Jonker, Peter. Preaching in Pictures: Using Images for Sermons That Connect. Nashville: Abingdon, 2015
- Long, Thomas. The Witness of Preaching. Louisville: Westminster John Knox, third ed., 2016.
- Robinson, Haddon. Biblical Preaching: The Development and Delivery of Expository Messages. Grand Rapids: Baker, third ed., 2014.
- Donald R. Sunukjian, Invitation to Biblical Preaching: Proclaiming Truth with Clarity and Relevance. Grand Rapids: Kregel, 2007.
How can we listen up for significant contextual or situational dynamics (with a clear function)?
- Keller, Timothy. Preaching: Communicating Faith in an Age of Skepticism. New York: Viking, 2015.
- Livermore, David. Cultural Intelligence: Improving Your CQ to Engage our Multicultural World. Grand Rapids, Baker, 2009.
- Schultze, Quentin. An Essential Guide to Public Speaking: Serving Your Audience with Faith, Skill, and Virtue. Grand Rapids: Baker, 2006.
- Troeger, Thomas, and Leonora Tubbs Tisdale. A Sermon Workbook: Exercises in the Art and Craft of Preaching. Nashville: Abingdon, 2013.
How can we shape up the sermon in a structure (form) to match the Scripture?
- Allen, O. Wesley, Jr. Determining the Form: Structures for Preaching. Minneapolis: Fortress, 2008.
- Anderson, Kenton. Choosing to Preach: A Comprehensive Introduction to Sermon Options and Structures. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2006.
- Arthurs, Jeffrey D. Preaching with Variety: How to Recreate the Dynamics of Biblical Genres. Grand Rapids: Kregel, 2007.
- Edwards, J. Kent. Effective First-Person Biblical Preaching: The Steps from Text to Narrative Sermon. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2005.
- Miller, Calvin. Preaching: The Art of Narrative Exposition. Grand Rapids: Baker, 2006.
- Robinson, Haddon, and Patricia Batten, eds. Models for Biblical Preaching: Expository Sermons from the Old Testament. Grand Rapids: Baker, 2014.
- Smith, Steven. Recapturing the Voice of God: Shaping Sermons Like Scripture. Nashville: Broadman and Holman, 2015.
Illuminate & Integrate
How can we light up the truth in daily life with illustrations, implications, stories, props, etc.?
- Day, David. Preaching with All You’ve Got: Embodying the Word. Peabody: Hendrickson, 2006.
- Hoezee, Scott. Actuality: Real Life Stories for Sermons that Matter. Nashville: Abingdon, 2014.
- Overdorf, Daniel. One Year to Better Preaching: 52 Exercises to Hone Your Skills. Grand Rapids: Kregel, 2013
- Platinga, Cornelius Jr. Reading for Preaching: The Preacher in Conversation with Storytellers, Biographers, Poets, and Journalists. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2013.
- Schultze, Quentin. High-Tech Worship: Using Presentational Technologies Wisely. Grand Rapids: Baker, 2004
How can we liven up the delivery with vocal and physical variety and authenticity?
- Brown, Teresa L. Fry. Delivering the Sermon: Voice, Body, and Animation in Proclamation.Minneapolis: Fortress, 2008.
- Childers, Jana, and Clayton J. Schmit, eds. Performance in Preaching: Bringing the Sermon to Life. Grand Rapids: Baker, 2008.
- https://examinations.rcmusic.ca/sites/default/files/files/rcme/online_syllabi/speecharts_syllabus_2011.pdf (The Royal Conservatory Speech Arts and Drama Syllabus, 2011 edition).
How can we check up on progress on the journey to maturity?
- Carrell, Lori J. Preaching That Matters: Reflective Practices for Transforming Sermons. Herndon: Alban, 2013,
- Hulst, Mary S. A Little Handbook for Preachers: Ten practical ways to a better sermon by Sunday. Downers Grove, InterVarsity, 2016.
- Vibert, Simon. Excellence in Preaching: Studying the Craft of Leading Preachers. Downers Grove: InterVarsity, 2011.
How can we build up preaching and worship with the resources of the Christian Year, a variety of worship styles, and from continuing education, for an intentional journey to maturity?
- Engle, Paul, and Paul Basden, eds. Exploring the Worship Spectrum: 6 Views. Grand Rapids, Zondervan, 2004.
- Scott M. Gibson, Preaching with a Plan: Sermon Strategies for Growing Mature Believers. Grand Rapids: Baker, 2012.
- Witvliet, John, and Emily Brink. The Worship Sourcebook. Grand Rapids: Baker, 2nd ed., 2013.
How can we open up to gather people with hospitable attitudes and actions?
- Pohl, Christine. Making Room: Recovering Hospitality as a Christian Tradition. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1999.
- Van Opstal, Sandra. The Next Worship: Glorifying God in a Diverse World. Downers Grove: InterVarsity, 2016.
- Webber, Robert. Ancient-Future Worship: Proclaiming and Enacting God’s Narrative. Grand Rapids: Baker, 2008.
How can we share Scripture in ways that help us listen up to God’s Word?
- Arthurs, Jeffery D. Devote Yourself to the Public Reading of Scripture: Encountering the Transforming Power of the Well-Spoken Word. Grand Rapids: Kregel, 2012.
- Schmit, Clayton J. Public Reading of Scripture: A Handbook. Nashville: Abingdon, 2002.
Celebrate & Contemplate
How can we connect up with God with exuberance and reverence through the Lord’s Table, prayer, music, etc.?
- Cherry, Constance M. The Worship Architect: A Blueprint for Designing Culturally Relevant and Biblically Faithful Services. Grand Rapids: Baker, 2010.
- Canadian Baptist Ministries, A Manual for Worship and Service. Revised 1998.(http://baptist-atlantic.ca/tools-resources/publications/ )
- Dawn, Marva. How Shall We Worship? Biblical Guidelines for the Worship Wars. Carol Stream: Tyndale, 2003.
- Scheer, Greg. Essential Worship: A Handbook for Leaders. Grand Rapids: Baker, 2016.
How can we send people out to link up with God’s kingdom mission?
- Richard, Ramesh. Preparing Evangelistic Sermons. Grand Rapids, Baker: revised ed., 2015.
- Van Opstal, Sandra. The Mission of Worship. Downers Grove: Inter Varsity, 2012.
Preaching and Worship at Funerals and Other Special Services
- http://worship.calvin.edu/resources/resource-library/in-times-of-death-resources-for-funeral-and-memorial-services/ .
- Brooks, James. The Unbroken Circle: A Toolkit for Congregations Around Illness, End of Life and Grief.
- Durham, North Carolina: Duke Institute on Care at the End of Life, 2009.
- Chapell, Bryan, ed. The Hardest Sermons You’ll Ever Have to Preach. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2011.
- Cherry, Constance. The Special Service Worship Architect. Grand Rapids: Baker, 2013.
- Craddock, Fred, Dale Goldsmith, and Joy Goldsmith. Speaking of Dying: Recovering the Church’s Voice in the Face of Death. Grand Rapids: Brazos, 2012.
- Gibson, Scott Gibson, Preaching for Special Services. Grand Rapids: Baker, 2001
- Hughes, A Trumpet in Darkness: Preaching to Mourners. Philadelphia: Fortress, 1985
- Sittser, A Grace Disguised: How the soul grows through loss. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, rev. ed., 2004.
- Swinton, John and Richard Payne, eds. Living Well and Dying Faithfully: Christian Practices for End-of-Life Care. Grand Rapids, Michigan: Eerdmans, 2009.
- Vander Zee, Leonard. In Life and in Death: A Pastoral Guide for Funerals. Grand Rapids: Faith Alive, 1992.
- Weems, Psalms of Lament. Louisville: Westminster John Knox, 1995.
- Wolfelt, Alan D. Creating Meaningful Funeral Experiences: A Guide for Caregivers. Fort Collins, Colorado: Companion Press, rev. ed. 2011. (See www.centerforloss.com for more resources)