We’ve collected a list of some of the best resources available related to various aspects of the practice of ministry.
Click the tabs below for a listing of books, websites and various resources in that area.
Be sure to check back often as we periodically add more recommendations for resources.
- Bolles, Richard. What Color Is Your Parachute? A Practical Manual for Job-Hunters & Career Changers. Berkeley: Ten Speed Press, 1999.
- *Brennfleck, Kevin, and Kay Marie Brennfleck. Live Your Calling: A Practical Guide to Finding and Fulfilling Your Mission In Life. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2004.
- Buckingham, Marcus. Go Put Your Strengths To Work. New York: Free Press, 2007.
- Bugabee, Bruce. What You Do Best in the Body of Christ. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, rev. ed., 2005.
- Cordeiro, Wayne. Doing Church as a Team. Ventura: Regal, rev. ed., 2004.
- Covey, Stephen R. The 8th Habit: From Effectiveness to Greatness. New York: Free Press, 2004.
- Fortune, Don, and Katie Fortune. Discover Your God-given Gifts. Chosen, rev. ed., 2009.
- Guiness, Os. The Call: Finding and Fulfilling the Central Purpose of Your Life. Nashville: Thomas Nelson, 2003.
- *Kise, Jane, David Stark and Sandra Krebs Hirsh. Life Keys: Discover Who You Are. Minneapolis: Bethany House, second edition, 2005.
- ___. Life Keys Leadership Resource. Minneapolis: Bethany, 1998.
- Ogden, Greg. Unfinished Business: Returning the Ministry to the People of God. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, revised edition, 2003.
- Palmer, Parker J. Let Your Life Speak: Listening for the Voice of Vocation. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2000.
- Rath, Tom. Strengths Finder 2.0. New York: Gallup Press, 2007.
- *Rees, Erik. SHAPE: Finding & Fulfilling Your Unique Purpose For Life. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2006.
- Schalk, Christoph and Jon Haley. How to Implement The 3 Colors of Ministry in Your Church. Carol Stream: Church Smart, 2001.
- Schalk, Christoph. How to Use The 3 Colors of Ministry in a Mentoring Relationship. Carol Stream: Church Smart, 2001.
- Schwarz, Bridgette. How to Study the 3 Colors in Your Small Group. Carol Stream: Church Smart, 2001.
- *Schwarz, Christian. The 3 Colors of Ministry: A Trinitarian approach to identifying and developing your spiritual gifts. St. Charles: Church Smart, 2001.
- Siciliano, Tom, and Jeff Caliguire. Shifting Into Higher Gear: An Owner’s Manual For Uniting Your Calling And Career. San Francisco: Jossey Bass, 2005.
- Smith, Gordon T. Courage & Calling: Embrace Your God-Given Potential. Downers Grove: Inter Varsity, second ed., 2011.
- Smith, Gordon. Consider Your Calling: Six Questions for Discerning Your Vocation.Downers Grove: Inter Varsity, 2016.
- Wagner, Peter. Your Spiritual Gifts Can Help Your Church Grow. Regal, rev. ed., 2005.
- Warren, Rick. The Purpose Driven Life. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2002.
(* for most highly recommended)
- Bandy, Thomas G. Why Should I Believe You? Rediscovering Clergy Credibility. Nashville: Abingdon, 2006.
- Barton, Ruth Haley. Strengthening the Soul of Your Leadership: Seeking God in the Crucible of Ministry. Downers Grove: InterVarsity, 2008.
- Blackaby, Richard, and Henry Blackaby. Spiritual Leadership: Moving People to God’s Agenda. Broadman & Holman, 2001.
- Bolsinger, Tod. Canoeing the Mountains: Christian Leadership in Uncharted Territory. Downers Grove: InterVarsity, 2018.
- Campbell, Regi and Richard Chancy. Mentor Like Jesus. Nashville, TN: Broadman & Holman, 2009.
- Kouzes, James, and Barry Posner, eds. Christian Reflections on the Leadership Challenge. San Francisco:Jossey-Bass, 2004.
- Kouzes, James, and Barry Posner. The Leadership Challenge. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, sixth ed., 2017.
- Ledbetter, Bernice M., Robert J. Banks, and David C. Greenhalgh. Reviewing Leadership: A Christian Evaluation of Current Approaches, second ed. Grand Rapids: Baker, 2016.
- Linhart, Terry. The Self-Aware Leader: Discovering Your Blind Spots to Reach Your Ministry Potential. Downers Grove: InterVarsity, 2017.
- Logan, Robert and Sherilyn Carlton. Coaching 101: Discover the Power of Coaching. St. Charles: Church Smart, 2003.
- Logan, Robert and Gary Reinecke. Coaching 101 Handbook. St. Charles: Church Smart, 2003.
- Macchia, Stephen. Becoming a Healthy Team. 5 Traits of Vital Leadership. Lexington: LTI Publications, second ed., 2014.
- McNeal, Reggie. A Work of Heart: Understanding How God Shapes Spiritual Leaders. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2000.
- Nelson, Gary, and Peter Dickens. Leading in Disorienting Times: Navigating Church and Organizational Change. Puente Publications, 2015.
- Nouwen, Henri. In the Name of Jesus: Reflections on Christian Leadership. New York: Crossroad, 2002.
- Ogden, Greg and Daniel Meyer, Leadership Essentials: Shaping Vision, Multiplying Influence, Defining Character. Downers Grove: InterVarsity, 2007.
- Pue, Carson. Mentoring Leaders: Wisdom for Developing Character, Calling and Competency. Grand Rapids: Baker, 2005
- Pue, Carson, and Doug Birdsall. Mentoring Wisdom: Living and Leading Well. Pickering: Castle Quay, 2011.
- Reese, Randy and Robert Loane. Deep Mentoring: Guiding Others on Their Leadership Journey. Downers Grove: InterVarsity, 2012.
- Roxburgh, Alan, and Fred Romanuk. The Missional Leader. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2006.
- Scazzero, Peter. The Emotionally Healthy Leader: How transforming your inner life will deeply transform your church, team, and the world. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2015.
- Schwarz, Christian A. The 3 Colors of Leadership. St. Charles, IL: ChurchSmart Resources, 2012.
- Stanley, Andy. The Next Generation Leader. Portland: Multnomah, 2003.
- Stoltfus, Tony. Coaching Questions: A Coach’s Guide to Powerful Asking Skills. Virginia Beach: Coach22 Bookstore, 2008.
- White, John. Excellence in Leadership: Reaching Goals with Prayer, Courage & Determination. Downers Grove: InterVarsity, reprinted 2006.
- Whitmore, John. Coaching for Performance: The principles and practices of coaching and leadership. Boston: Nicholas Brealey, fifth ed., 2017.
- Zachary, Lois and Lory Fischler. The Mentee’s Guide: Making Mentoring Work for You. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2009.
- Zachary, Lois. The Mentor’s Guide: Facilitating Effective Learning Relationships. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, second ed., 2011.
Who are some good conversation partners for strengthening small groups?
- Alpha Canada
- Dr. Bill Donahue
- Joel Comiskey Group
- Small Group Churches
- Small Group Leadership
- Small Group Network
What are some foundations for why we meet together?
- *Atkinson, Harley. The Power of Small Groups in Christian Formation. Eugene: Wipf and Stock, 2018.
- Bonhoeffer, Dietrich. Life Together. New York: Harper & Row, 1954.
- Comiskey, Joel. Biblical Foundations for the Cell-Based Church: New Testament Insights for the 21st Century Church. Moreno Valley, CA: CCS Publishing, 2012.
- Comiskey, Joel. 2000 Years of Small Groups: A History of Cell Ministry in the Church. Moreno, CA: CCS Publishing, 2014
- Donahue, Bill. The Irresistible Community: An Invitation to Life Together. Grand Rapids: Baker, 2015.
- Gorman, Julie A. Community That Is Christian: A Handbook on Small Groups. Grand Rapids: Baker, second ed., 2002.
- Icenogle, Gareth. Biblical Foundations for Small Group Ministry. Downers Grove: Intervarsity, 2006.
- Latini, Theresa F. The Church and the Crisis of Community: A Practical Theology of Small-Group Ministry. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2011.
- Myers, Joseph. The Search to Belong: Rethinking Intimacy, Community, and Small Groups. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2003.
- *Schwarz, Christian. The 3 Colors of Community: How the 7 Communal Qualities of Healthy Small Groups can help you overcome the 7 Deadly Sins. Fordelm, 2012.
- Vanier, John. Community and Growth. New York: Paulist, rev. ed., 2002.
How can we develop abilities, attitudes, and practices for leading a small group?
- Arnold, Jeffrey. The Big Book on Small Groups. Downers Grove: InterVarsity, rev. ed., 2004.
- *Bennett, Diana. Renewing Your Church Through Healthy Small Groups: 8 Week Training Manual for Small Group Leaders. Lexington, MA: LTI Publications, 2016.
- *Boren, M. Scott. Leading Small Groups in the Way of Jesus. Downers Grove: InterVarsity, 2015.
- Bunch, Cindy, ed. Small Group Idea Book. Downers Grove: Intervarsity, rev. ed., 2004.
- Cloud, Henry, and John Townsend. Making Small Groups Work. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2003.
- Donahue, Bill, Leading Life-Changing Small Groups. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, third ed., 2012.
- Gladen, Steve. Leading Small Groups with Purpose: Everything You Need to Lead a Healthy Group. Grand Rapids: Baker, 2012.
- Kirk, J. Alex, et. al. Small Group Leaders’ Handbook. Downers Grove: InterVarsity, rev. ed. 2009.
- Mack, Michael. World’s Greatest Small Group: 7 Powerful Traits of a Life-Changing Leader. Peewee Valley, KY: Small Group Leadership, 2017.
- Miller, Tara, and Jenn Peppers. Finding the Flow: A Guide for Leading Small Groups and Gatherings. Downers Grove: Inter Varsity, 2008.
- O’Neal, Sam. Field Guide for Small Group Leaders. Downers Grove: Inter Varsity, 2012.
- Search, Bill. Simple Small Groups: A User-Friendly Guide for Small Group Leaders. Grand Rapids: Baker, 2008.
How can we cultivate community with healthy systems and strategies?
- Boren, M. Scott. Beyond Small Groups: From Programmatic Meetings to Flourishing Communities. The Center for Community and Mission, 2018.
- Comiskey, Joel, and Jim Egli. Groups That Thrive: Seven Surprising Discoveries about Life-Giving Small Groups. Moreno Valley, CA: CCS Publishing, 2017.
- Donahue, Bill, and Russ Robinson. Building a Life-Changing Small Group Ministry. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2012.
- Donahue, Bill, and Greg Bowman. Coaching Life-Changing Small Groups. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, rev. ed. 2012.
- Egli, Jim, and Dwight Marble. Small Groups, Big Impact: Connecting People to God and One Another in Thriving Groups. Moreno Valley, CA: CCS Publishing, 2014.
- Frazee, Randy. The Connecting Church 2.0: Beyond Small Groups to Authentic Community. Grand Rapids, Zondervan, second ed. 2013.
- *Gladen, Steve. Planning Small Groups with Purpose: A Field-Tested Guide to Design and Grow Your Ministry. Grand Rapids: Baker, 2018.
- Searcy, Nelson, and Kerrick Thomas. Activate: An Entirely New Approach to Small Groups. Grand Rapids: Baker, 2008.
- Stark, David, and Betty Veldman Wieland. Growing People Through Small Groups. Minneapolis: Bethany, 2004.
- Stetzer, Ed, and Eric Geiger. Transformational Groups: Creating a New Scorecard for Groups. Nashville: B&H Publishing, 2014.
- Surrat, Chris. Small Groups for the Rest of Us: How to Design Your Small Group System to Reach the Fringes. Nashville: Thomas Nelson, 2015.
- *Zempel, Heather. Community Is Messy: The Perils and Promise of Small Group Ministry. Downers Grove: InterVarsity, 2012.
How can we create spaces for exploring faith questions and joining God’s mission?
- Arnold, Jeffrey. Small Group Outreach: Turning Groups Inside Out. Downers Grove: InterVarsity, 2009.
- Boren, M. Scott. Missional Small Groups: Becoming a Community That Makes a Difference in the World. Grand Rapids, Baker, 2010.
- House, Brad. Community: Taking Your Small Group Off Life Support. Wheaton: Crossway, 2011.
- Poole, Gary. Seeker Small Groups: Engaging Spiritual Seekers in Life-Changing Discussions. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2009.
How can we deepen our discipleship in partnership with one another and with God?
- Barton, Ruth Haley. Life Together in Christ: Experiencing Transformation in Community. Downers Grove: InterVarsity, 2014.
- Dougherty, Rose Mary. Group Spiritual Direction: Community for Discernment. New York: Paulist, 1995.
- Dougherty, Rose Mary, ed. The Lived Experience of Group Spiritual Direction. New York: Paulist, 2003.
- Foster, Richard, and James Bryan Smith. A Spiritual Formation Workbook: Small Group Resources forNurturing Christian Growth. New York: Harper, rev. ed., 2007.
- Fryling, Alice. Seeking God Together: An Introduction to Group Spiritual Direction. Downers Grove: InterVarsity, 2009.
- Kropf, Marlene and Daniel Schrock, ed. An Open Place: The Ministry of Group Spiritual Direction. New York: Morehouse, 2012.
- Webb, Heather. Small Group Leadership as Spiritual Direction: Practical Ways to Blend an Ancient Art into Your Contemporary Community. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2005.
How can we create spaces for all ages to grow and serve together?
- Allen, Holly, and Christine Lawton Ross. Intergenerational Christian Formation: Bringing the Whole Church Together in Ministry, Community, and Worship. Downers Grove: InterVarsity, 2012.
- Comiskey, Joel. Children in Cell Ministry: Discipling the Future Generation Now. Moreno Valley, CA: CCS Publishing, 2015.
- Comiskey, Joel. Youth in Cell Ministry: Discipling the Next Generation Now. Moreno Valley, CA: CCS Publishing, 2016.
- Griffin, Josh, and Doug Fields. 99 Thoughts for Small Group Leaders: Tips for Rookies and Veterans on Leading Youth Ministry Small Groups. Group, 2010.
- Hanson, Amy. Baby Boomers and Beyond: Tapping the Ministry Talents and Passions of Adults Over 50. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2010.
- Houston, James, and Michael Parker. A Vision for the Aging Church: Renewing Ministry for and by Seniors. Downers Grove: InterVarsity, 2011.
- Polich, Laurie, and Charley Scandlyn. Small Group Strategies: Ideas and Activities for Spiritual Growthin Your Students. Grand Rapids: Zondervan/Youth Specialities, 2011.
How can we deepen our knowledge by learning together?
- Kuhatschek, Jack, and Cindy Bunch. How to Lead a Life Guide Bible Study. Downers Grove: InterVarsity, 2011.
- Ogden, Greg. The Essential Commandment: A Disciple’s Guide to Loving God and Others. Downers Grove: InterVarsity, 2011.
- Olesberg, Lindsay. The Bible Study Handbook: A Comprehensive Guide to an Essential Practice. Downers Grove: InterVarsity, 2012.
- Osborne, Larry. Sticky Church. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2008.
- Perkins, Robert. Bringing Home the Message: How Community Can Multiply the Power of the Preached Word. Eugene: Cascade, 2014.
How can we journey together through challenging circumstances and life changes?
- Baker, John. Celebrate Recovery Updated Leader’s Guide: A Recovery Program Based on Eight Principles from the Beatitudes. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, rev. ed., 2016.
- Greggo, Stephen. Trekking Toward Wholeness: A Resource for Care Group Leaders. Downers Grove: InterVarsity, 2008.
- Popkin, Michael. Active Parenting 4th Edition, Leader’s Guide. Marietta, GA: Active Parenting Publishers, 2014.
- Popkin, Michael, Melody Popkin, and Sue Allen. Christian Active Parenting, Leader’s Guide. Marietta, GA: Active Parenting Publishers, 2015.
- Wolfelt, Alan. The Understanding Your Grief Support Group Guide: Starting and Leading a Bereavement Support Group. Companion Press, 2004.
How can we facilitate healthy teamwork?
- Bellman, Geoffery, and Kathleen Ryan. Extraordinary Groups: How Ordinary Teams Achieve Amazing Results. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2009.
- Bird, Warren, and Ryan Hartwig. Teams that Thrive: Five Disciplines of Collaborative Church Leadership. Downers Grove: InterVarsity, 2015.
- Lencioni, Patrick. The Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A Leadership Fable. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2002.
- Lencioni, Patrick. Overcoming the Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A Field Guide. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2005.
- Kaner, Sam. Facilitator’s Guide to Participatory Decision-Making. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, third ed., 2014.
- Macchia, Stephen. Becoming a Healthy Team. 5 Traits of Vital Leadership. Lexington, MA: LTI Publications, second ed. 2014
Titles with an * are required texts for ADC’s course in small group ministries.
How can we team up in preaching and worship?
- Calvin Institute for Christian Worship: http://worship.calvin.edu/ (an amazing range of resources)
- Gibson, Scott M. Should We Use Someone Else’s Sermon? Preaching in a Cut and Paste World. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2008.
- Quicke, Michael. Preaching as Worship: An Integrative Approach to Formation in Your Church. Grand Rapids: Baker, 2011.
- Vanderwall, Howard, and Norma deWaal Malefyt. Designing Worship Together: Models and Strategies for Worship Planning. Herndon: Alban, 2005.
- Yoder, June, and Marlene Kropf. Preparing Sunday Dinner: A Collaborative Approach to Worship and Preaching. Scottsdale: Herald, 2005.
How can spiritual disciplines fire up our passion for deeper preaching and worship?
- Calhoun, Adele Ahlberg. Spiritual Disciplines Handbook. Downers Grove: InterVarsity, rev. ed., 2015
- Campolo, Tony and Mary Albert Darling. Connecting Like Jesus: Practices for Healing, Teaching, and Preaching. San Francisco: Jossey Bass, 2010.
- Edwards, J. Kent. Deep Preaching: Creating Sermons that Go Beyond the Superficial. Nashville: Broadman and Holman, 2009.
- Johnson, Jan. Meeting God in Scripture. Downers Grove: InterVarsity, 2016.
How can we dig up insights from studying the biblical text in context?
- http://bestcommentaries.com/ (Collected, averaged reviews from scholars and other ministries)
- Center for Excellence in Preaching: http://cep.calvinseminary.edu/resources/ (commentary tips)
- Chapell, Bryan. Christ-Centered Preaching: Redeeming the Expository Sermon. Grand Rapids: Baker, 2nd ed., 2005.
- Knowles, Michael. Of Seeds and the People of God: Preaching as Parable, Crucifixion, and Testimony. Eugene: Cascade Books, 2015
- Wright, Christopher J. How to Preach the Old Testament for All Its Worth. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2016
How can we clearly, concisely, creatively sum up the sermon (with a clear focus)?
- http://www.gordonconwell.edu/ockenga/preaching/Links-and-Media-Resources.cfm (preaching websites)
- Jonker, Peter. Preaching in Pictures: Using Images for Sermons That Connect. Nashville: Abingdon, 2015
- Long, Thomas. The Witness of Preaching. Louisville: Westminster John Knox, third ed., 2016.
- Robinson, Haddon. Biblical Preaching: The Development and Delivery of Expository Messages. Grand Rapids: Baker, third ed., 2014.
- Donald R. Sunukjian, Invitation to Biblical Preaching: Proclaiming Truth with Clarity and Relevance. Grand Rapids: Kregel, 2007.
How can we listen up for significant contextual or situational dynamics (with a clear function)?
- Keller, Timothy. Preaching: Communicating Faith in an Age of Skepticism. New York: Viking, 2015.
- Livermore, David. Cultural Intelligence: Improving Your CQ to Engage our Multicultural World. Grand Rapids, Baker, 2009.
- Schultze, Quentin. An Essential Guide to Public Speaking: Serving Your Audience with Faith, Skill, and Virtue. Grand Rapids: Baker, 2006.
- Troeger, Thomas, and Leonora Tubbs Tisdale. A Sermon Workbook: Exercises in the Art and Craft of Preaching. Nashville: Abingdon, 2013.
How can we shape up the sermon in a structure (form) to match the Scripture?
- Allen, O. Wesley, Jr. Determining the Form: Structures for Preaching. Minneapolis: Fortress, 2008.
- Anderson, Kenton. Choosing to Preach: A Comprehensive Introduction to Sermon Options and Structures. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2006.
- Arthurs, Jeffrey D. Preaching with Variety: How to Recreate the Dynamics of Biblical Genres. Grand Rapids: Kregel, 2007.
- Edwards, J. Kent. Effective First-Person Biblical Preaching: The Steps from Text to Narrative Sermon. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2005.
- Miller, Calvin. Preaching: The Art of Narrative Exposition. Grand Rapids: Baker, 2006.
- Robinson, Haddon, and Patricia Batten, eds. Models for Biblical Preaching: Expository Sermons from the Old Testament. Grand Rapids: Baker, 2014.
- Smith, Steven. Recapturing the Voice of God: Shaping Sermons Like Scripture. Nashville: Broadman and Holman, 2015.
Illuminate & Integrate
How can we light up the truth in daily life with illustrations, implications, stories, props, etc.?
- Day, David. Preaching with All You’ve Got: Embodying the Word. Peabody: Hendrickson, 2006.
- Hoezee, Scott. Actuality: Real Life Stories for Sermons that Matter. Nashville: Abingdon, 2014.
- Overdorf, Daniel. One Year to Better Preaching: 52 Exercises to Hone Your Skills. Grand Rapids: Kregel, 2013
- Platinga, Cornelius Jr. Reading for Preaching: The Preacher in Conversation with Storytellers, Biographers, Poets, and Journalists. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2013.
- Schultze, Quentin. High-Tech Worship: Using Presentational Technologies Wisely. Grand Rapids: Baker, 2004
How can we liven up the delivery with vocal and physical variety and authenticity?
- Brown, Teresa L. Fry. Delivering the Sermon: Voice, Body, and Animation in Proclamation.Minneapolis: Fortress, 2008.
- Childers, Jana, and Clayton J. Schmit, eds. Performance in Preaching: Bringing the Sermon to Life. Grand Rapids: Baker, 2008.
- https://examinations.rcmusic.ca/sites/default/files/files/rcme/online_syllabi/speecharts_syllabus_2011.pdf (The Royal Conservatory Speech Arts and Drama Syllabus, 2011 edition).
How can we check up on progress on the journey to maturity?
- Carrell, Lori J. Preaching That Matters: Reflective Practices for Transforming Sermons. Herndon: Alban, 2013,
- Hulst, Mary S. A Little Handbook for Preachers: Ten practical ways to a better sermon by Sunday. Downers Grove, InterVarsity, 2016.
- Vibert, Simon. Excellence in Preaching: Studying the Craft of Leading Preachers. Downers Grove: InterVarsity, 2011.
How can we build up preaching and worship with the resources of the Christian Year, a variety of worship styles, and from continuing education, for an intentional journey to maturity?
- Engle, Paul, and Paul Basden, eds. Exploring the Worship Spectrum: 6 Views. Grand Rapids, Zondervan, 2004.
- Scott M. Gibson, Preaching with a Plan: Sermon Strategies for Growing Mature Believers. Grand Rapids: Baker, 2012.
- Witvliet, John, and Emily Brink. The Worship Sourcebook. Grand Rapids: Baker, 2nd ed., 2013.
How can we open up to gather people with hospitable attitudes and actions?
- Pohl, Christine. Making Room: Recovering Hospitality as a Christian Tradition. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1999.
- Van Opstal, Sandra. The Next Worship: Glorifying God in a Diverse World. Downers Grove: InterVarsity, 2016.
- Webber, Robert. Ancient-Future Worship: Proclaiming and Enacting God’s Narrative. Grand Rapids: Baker, 2008.
How can we share Scripture in ways that help us listen up to God’s Word?
- Arthurs, Jeffery D. Devote Yourself to the Public Reading of Scripture: Encountering the Transforming Power of the Well-Spoken Word. Grand Rapids: Kregel, 2012.
- Schmit, Clayton J. Public Reading of Scripture: A Handbook. Nashville: Abingdon, 2002.
Celebrate & Contemplate
How can we connect up with God with exuberance and reverence through the Lord’s Table, prayer, music, etc.?
- Cherry, Constance M. The Worship Architect: A Blueprint for Designing Culturally Relevant and Biblically Faithful Services. Grand Rapids: Baker, 2010.
- Canadian Baptist Ministries, A Manual for Worship and Service. Revised 1998.(http://baptist-atlantic.ca/tools-resources/publications/ )
- Dawn, Marva. How Shall We Worship? Biblical Guidelines for the Worship Wars. Carol Stream: Tyndale, 2003.
- Scheer, Greg. Essential Worship: A Handbook for Leaders. Grand Rapids: Baker, 2016.
How can we send people out to link up with God’s kingdom mission?
- Richard, Ramesh. Preparing Evangelistic Sermons. Grand Rapids, Baker: revised ed., 2015.
- Van Opstal, Sandra. The Mission of Worship. Downers Grove: Inter Varsity, 2012.
Preaching and Worship at Funerals and Other Special Services
- http://worship.calvin.edu/resources/resource-library/in-times-of-death-resources-for-funeral-and-memorial-services/ .
- Brooks, James. The Unbroken Circle: A Toolkit for Congregations Around Illness, End of Life and Grief.
- Durham, North Carolina: Duke Institute on Care at the End of Life, 2009.
- Chapell, Bryan, ed. The Hardest Sermons You’ll Ever Have to Preach. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2011.
- Cherry, Constance. The Special Service Worship Architect. Grand Rapids: Baker, 2013.
- Craddock, Fred, Dale Goldsmith, and Joy Goldsmith. Speaking of Dying: Recovering the Church’s Voice in the Face of Death. Grand Rapids: Brazos, 2012.
- Gibson, Scott Gibson, Preaching for Special Services. Grand Rapids: Baker, 2001
- Hughes, A Trumpet in Darkness: Preaching to Mourners. Philadelphia: Fortress, 1985
- Sittser, A Grace Disguised: How the soul grows through loss. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, rev. ed., 2004.
- Swinton, John and Richard Payne, eds. Living Well and Dying Faithfully: Christian Practices for End-of-Life Care. Grand Rapids, Michigan: Eerdmans, 2009.
- Vander Zee, Leonard. In Life and in Death: A Pastoral Guide for Funerals. Grand Rapids: Faith Alive, 1992.
- Weems, Psalms of Lament. Louisville: Westminster John Knox, 1995.
- Wolfelt, Alan D. Creating Meaningful Funeral Experiences: A Guide for Caregivers. Fort Collins, Colorado: Companion Press, rev. ed. 2011. (See www.centerforloss.com for more resources)