Master of Divinity
Preparing leaders for ordained Christian ministry is the primary focus of the Master of Divinity (MDiv) program at Acadia Divinity College (ADC). In addition to an academically rigorous program, you will receive a personalized education from a dedicated faculty, many of whom are themselves experienced pastors. You will obtain a deep understanding of the Bible, the ability to apply scripture to today’s world, and the competency to succeed in ordained ministry. At ADC, you also have the opportunity to serve in real-life church ministry under the mentorship of a local pastor.
The MDiv program builds on a strong undergraduate background and provides a well-rounded education in three core areas:
- Biblical Studies to understand, interpret and communicate scripture well
- Christian Thought to apply scripture to help churches engage in our rapidly changing world
- Ministry to witness and provide effective ministry leadership in today’s cultural context in Canada and beyond
ADC Master of Divinity graduates are prepared for a wide range of ministry leadership including service in local churches, chaplaincy settings, and overseas. Graduates also provide leadership to denominations and parachurch ministries. Some graduates decide to continue studying at the doctorate level and teach in colleges and seminaries worldwide.
Acadia Divinity College offers the MDiv program within a variety of degree specializations. You may decide to focus on one of the areas of ministry listed in the specializations tab below, or pursue a general degree without specialization.
- Number of Courses: 30 (90 credit hours)
- Length of Program: 3 years*
- Course Load Options: Full-time (3 or more courses per semester**) and part-time (1-2 courses per semester).
- Locations and Formats:
- On-Campus: We welcome students to enjoy the full Acadia experience by taking courses on the Acadia University campus in Wolfville, Nova Scotia. All courses required for the Master of Divinity are offered on a rotating basis over a two or three-year period in a variety of teaching formats including weekly, one-week intensives, and three-weekend intensives.
- Extension Courses: Six to eight courses are offered annually at various sites throughout the greater Halifax area and New Brunswick. These courses may be offered in the weekly format one evening per week, or in our one-week and three-weekend intensive formats.
- Online: The majority of our courses are offered through two online course formats so that you can access high-quality theological education wherever you are. To read more on our online formats, click here.
*based on a full-time course load of 10 courses per year.
**five courses per semester is a normal full-time course load
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution, or equivalent, with a minimum Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of 2.00.
- Mature Admission: Each year, Acadia Divinity College may grant mature admission to a small percentage of Master of Divinity applicants. Such applicants may be admitted without an undergraduate degree, or its equivalent, if they are at least 35 years of age and demonstrate evidence of the commitment and qualities desired for pastoral leadership and the academic ability to engage in graduate education. Mature admission to the Master of Divinity program is competitive, and only candidates who have applied by the application deadline will be considered. Such applicants who are not accepted as Master of Divinity students may be offered admission to the Bachelor of Theology (Ordination Track) program instead.
By the end of this program participants should be able to:
- Interpret and apply Scripture to Christian faith and practice with critically informed exegetical and hermeneutical skills
- Critically discuss and defend Christian faith and practice with personal integration and responsible theological thinking
- Critically analyse and discuss the global history of the Christian faith with a particular emphasis on the nature of their own tradition
- Demonstrate the personal and spiritual characteristics required of Christian leaders who will practice ministry in a local cultural context which is yet part of a global and diverse world
- Demonstrate with contextual adaptability a range of skills required for the practice of Christian leadership, ministry and mission
Students may choose one of the following specializations or study without specialization. For more information on each specialization, click the individual links:
|FULL YEAR||ONE SEMESTER||PER COURSE|
*50% discount is available for students aged 60+ and for our ministry partners.
* *These amounts are for the 2020-2021 academic year and are subject to change.
* *For a full breakdown of tuition and fees, please visit here.
Updated September 2020
- The generosity of donors over time has made it possible for Acadia Divinity College to offer significant scholarship and bursaries to its students. Our financial assistance program ensures that every eligible student receives support every year.
- Entrance Scholarship:
- $4,330 per year for the normal duration of the student’s program.
- Awarded to students entering into a full-time degree program with an 80% average from a completed high school program with five Grade 12 academic courses (undergraduate applicants) or a Cumulative Grade Point Average of 3.5 or higher in their most recently completed degree (graduate applicants).
- All students (incoming and returning) are encouraged to apply for financial aid if they are not awarded an Entrance Scholarship.
- Amounts vary dependent on level of study and course load:
- Graduate full-time: $2,230 per year
- Graduate part-time: $225 per course
- Undergraduate full-time: $2,080 per year
- Undergraduate part-time: $225 per course
- College Assistantships:
- Canadian and international students are welcome to apply for various College Assistantships for each academic year. Remuneration varies depending on the position.
- For more information visit the website here.
- For more information on additional Scholarships and Bursaries, click here.
- Entrance Scholarship:
The requirements for Master of Divinity graduation are a CGPA of 2.00 or better, and a pass mark in all courses within the 90 credit hours for the degree. The statute of limitations is seven (7) years.