Prepare with Purpose
You’re passionate about your calling. We can help you prepare.
The world needs strong and compassionate Christian leaders. Our Master of Divinity (MDiv) program will equip you with a robust theological education to meet that need.
In addition to an academically rigorous program, you will receive a personalized education from a dedicated faculty, many of whom are experienced ministry practitioners.
The program will instruct you in interpreting Scripture, appreciating Christian history and theology, and understanding how to provide effective ministry leadership within the context of contemporary culture. You will also serve in real-life church ministry under the mentorship of a local pastor.
Building on a strong undergraduate background, the MDiv provides a well-rounded education in three core areas:
- Biblical Studies to understand, interpret and communicate scripture well
- Christian Thought to apply scripture to help churches engage in our rapidly changing world
- Ministry to witness and provide effective ministry leadership in today’s cultural context in Canada and beyond
ADC MDiv graduates are prepared for leadership in a wide range of ministries, including service in local churches, chaplaincy settings, and mission fields – both local and global. Graduates also provide leadership to denominations and parachurch ministries. Some graduates decide to continue their studies at the doctorate level and teach in colleges and seminaries worldwide.
Dr. Christopher Killacky
Number of Courses: 30 (90 credit hours)
Length of Program: 3 years*
Course Load Options: Full-time (3 or more courses per semester**) and part-time (1-2 courses per semester).
Specialization: Chaplaincy and Spiritual Care, Evangelism and Mission, Leadership and Spiritual Formation, Next Generation Ministry, Pastoral Care and Counselling, Pastoral Ministry, and Prison Chaplaincy
Locations and Formats:
On-Campus: We welcome students to enjoy the full Acadia experience by taking courses on the Acadia University campus in Wolfville, Nova Scotia. All courses required for the Master of Divinity are offered on a rotating basis over a two or three-year period in a variety of teaching formats including weekly, one-week intensives, and three-weekend intensives.
Extension Courses: Six to eight courses are offered annually at various sites throughout the greater Halifax area and New Brunswick. These courses may be offered in the weekly format one evening per week, or in our one-week and three-weekend intensive formats.
Online: The majority of our courses are offered through two online course formats so that you can access high-quality theological education wherever you are.
*based on a full-time course load of 10 courses per year.
**five courses per semester is a normal full-time course load
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution, or equivalent, with a minimum Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of 2.00.
- Mature Admission: Each year, Acadia Divinity College may grant admission to a small percentage of mature Master of Divinity applicants. Such applicants may be admitted without an undergraduate degree, or its equivalent, if they are at least 35 years of age and demonstrate evidence of the commitment and qualities desired for pastoral leadership and the academic ability to engage in graduate education. Mature admission to the Master of Divinity program is competitive, and only candidates who have applied by the application deadline will be considered. Such applicants who are not accepted as Master of Divinity students may be offered admission to the Bachelor of Theology (CBAC 35+ Ordination Track) program instead.
By the end of this program participants should be able to:
- Interpret and apply Scripture to Christian faith and practice with critically informed exegetical and hermeneutical skills
- Critically discuss and defend Christian faith and practice with personal integration and responsible theological thinking
- Critically analyse and discuss the global history of the Christian faith with a particular emphasis on the nature of their own tradition
- Demonstrate the personal and spiritual characteristics required of Christian leaders who will practice ministry in a local cultural context which is yet part of a global and diverse world
- Demonstrate with contextual adaptability a range of skills required for the practice of Christian leadership, ministry, and mission
|FULL YEAR||ONE SEMESTER||PER COURSE|
*Seniors (60+) / Qualified Ministry Partners receive a 50% discount of full-time tuition.
**These amounts are for the 2022-2023 academic year and are subject to change. For a full breakdown of tuition and fees, please visit here.
The generosity of donors over time has made it possible for Acadia Divinity College to offer significant scholarship and bursaries to its students. Our financial assistance program ensures that every eligible student receives support every year.
- $4,506 per year for the normal duration of the student’s program.
- Awarded to students entering a full-time degree program with a Cumulative Grade Point Average of 3.5 or higher in their most recently completed degree.
- All students (incoming and returning) are encouraged to apply for financial aid if they are not awarded an Entrance Scholarship.
- Amounts vary dependent on level of study and course load:
- Graduate full-time: $2,253 per year
- Graduate part-time: $248.25 per course
- Canadian and international students are welcome to apply for various College Assistantships for each academic year. Remuneration varies depending on the position.
Additional information on Scholarships and Bursaries and College Assistantships
Note: These amounts are for the 2022-2023 academic year and are subject to change.
The requirements for Master of Divinity graduation are a CGPA of 2.00 or better, and a pass mark in all courses within the 90 credit hours for the degree. The statute of limitations is seven (7) years.