Acadia Divinity College is on the campus of one of Canada’s oldest and most respected liberal arts universities, Acadia University. As the Faculty of Theology for Acadia University, we have a distinguished history of equipping Christian leaders for full-time and volunteer ministry around the world. Offering full-time and part-time degree, diploma, and certificate programs, our students are challenged by their professors to ask questions, explore the depths of their faith, and cultivate their calling through rigorous intellectual instruction, meaningful spiritual formation, and practical ministry experience. ADC’s diverse student population of over 200 students come from more than 13 countries and represent 20 denominations. In addition to our own students, the greater Acadia University student population has approximately 500 international students from over 53 different countries and offers a wide range of recreational, cultural, social, and educational activities in addition to the academic programs.


Below you will find information that international students need to know about coming to Canada and studying at Acadia Divinity College.

If you have any questions that are not answered here, please do not hesitate to contact us.

International applicants who wish to come to Canada to complete some, or all, of their chosen program must apply as a full-time student to a full degree program (Bachelor of Theology, Master of Divinity, Master of Arts (Theology), or Doctor of Ministry). Our certificate and diploma programs do not qualify for a Canadian study permit.

Bachelor of Theology

A high school diploma with a minimum 70% average or above in five Grade 12 academic courses, including English 12 (or equivalent). To view a list of admission requirements for specific international countries (A-Z) click here.

Master of Divinity

Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution, or equivalent, with a minimum Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of 2.00 (on a 4.0 or 4.3 scale).

Master of Arts (Theology)

Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution, or equivalent, with a minimum Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of 3.00 (on a 4.0 or 4.3 scale).

Doctor of Ministry
  • Be currently serving in a paid Christian ministry position. The Doctor of Ministry program is designed to help Christian ministry professionals grow without having to leave their ministry contexts.
  • Have completed a Master of Divinity degree (or its educational equivalent) from a seminary accredited by The Association of Theological Schools in the United States and Canada. Applicants who have completed their academic ministry preparation outside of North America should inquire on an individual basis regarding educational equivalency.
  • Have completed a minimum of three years of paid vocational ministry experience.
  • Have earned a minimum 3.00 Grade Point Average on a 4.0 scale (or “B” average) in your Master of Divinity or equivalent educational program.*
  • Show evidence of strong writing ability.

*Equivalency is calculated on the basis of credit hours, content of previous education, GPA, accreditation of the educational institution. If students do not meet equivalency to enter into the DMin, they will have the opportunity to work with the DMin team to select the courses at ADC to help meet that equivalency.

Due to visa processing times, international application deadlines vary. Please email to inquire about your country’s specific deadline.

Fall Session (begins in September): application deadlines vary from March 30th – July 15th

Winter Session (begins in January): application deadlines vary from June 20th – December 1st

Spring Session: International students are not eligible to begin their program during our Spring semester as we do not offer enough courses for a full-time course load.

Note: These deadlines refer to the submission of a complete application package. If documents are not received by the deadline/or post-marked, it will be at the discretion of ADC’s Admissions Committee whether a file will be considered.

Undergraduate Applicants

All applications must be supported by official copies of all high school transcripts and other records of academic work.

Transcripts should be certified by the school and prepared in a sealed envelope by the school. They can either be sent to Acadia directly from the school or given to the student in a sealed envelope to send. Certified transcripts acceptable to Acadia will be used as a basis of admission.

Admission requirements differ depending on the student’s educational system. We review all applications from international students individually.

Applicants for admission from another university or college must have an official transcript sent directly from that institution for evaluation.

Graduate Applicants

All university transcripts need to be original official documents provided to you in sealed envelopes or sent directly to Acadia from the issuing institutions.

If it is not possible for the institution to produce another official transcript, they may make a copy of the original transcript and certify that the document is an accurate copy. The certified copy should then be provided to you in a sealed envelope or sent directly to Acadia from the issuing institution.

If your transcript must be translated into English and your institution does not provide translated documents, your transcript can be translated elsewhere and then brought back to your institution to be certified as an accurate copy. The certified translated copy should then be provided to you in a sealed envelope or sent directly to Acadia from the issuing institution.

In rare cases where a University will not provide a certified copy of a transcript, the Ministry of Education/Office of the Judiciary in that Country can certify the authenticity of the transcript. It would need to be submitted to Acadia in their official, sealed, stamped, envelope to be accepted.

Important notes regarding transcripts:

  • We do not accept notarized documents.
  • We do not accept transcripts by email.
  • We do not accept WES Evaluation Reports/Verifications of transcripts. Acadia does their own assessment of the official application documents.
  • For graduate applicants, we do not require transcripts for your 10th or 12th year; only the official transcripts after Grade 12 and onward are required.
Mailing Address for Transcripts

Please have official transcripts mailed to:

Manager of Recruitment and Admissions
Acadia Divinity College
15 University Avenue
Wolfville, Nova Scotia, Canada
B4P 2R6

Since English is the language of instruction at Acadia University, candidates must be able to communicate competently in English both orally and in writing, and students whose first language is not English may be required to present the result of the TOEFL, IELTS, CAEL, or PTE Academic. Acadia’s English requirements are as follows:

  • TOEFL: 90 IBT with no subtest score below 20
  • IELTS (Academic): 6.5 with no subtest score below 6.0
  • CAEL/CAEL Online: 70 with no subtest below 60
  • PTE Academic: 61 with no subtest score below 60
  • Cambridge English, Advanced: 176 with no subtest score below 169
  • PELMO – 65 with no section below 30.

Only English test scores sent directly from the Educational Testing Service to Acadia by mail will be accepted. Acadia’s number for submission is 0901.

Applicants from the following countries are exempt from providing an English Language Proficiency Test: Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, The Bahamas, Belize, Dominica, Gambia, Ghana, Grenada, Guyana, Ireland, Jamaica, New Zealand, Nigeria, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, United Kingdom, United States, Zambia, and Zimbabwe.

If a student has studied in an English medium of instruction for three years and can provide confirmation from the institution, the language proficiency requirement may be waived. This confirmation should be a sealed letter from the institution, either included with the transcripts when mailed or sent separately.

Depending on your length of study in Canada, you will probably need a study permit. You may also need an electronic travel authorization or visa in order to study at Acadia, depending on your home country. Also, depending on your age, you may require a Custodian in Canada.

In order to obtain a Study Permit, application materials must be evaluated, and an offer of admission must be made. When the offer of admission has been made, a Confirmation of Admission letter will be issued, which is required to obtain a Study Permit.

The process of obtaining your required immigration documents will differ between offices abroad and in some cases can take up to six months to complete. Depending on the visa office, you will receive your Student Study Permit before departing for Canada or you will receive a Letter of Introduction to present to Canadian Immigration when you arrive in Canada. If you have issued a Letter of Introduction, the immigration officer at the port of entry (when you enter Canada) will issue your Student Study Permit. Under no circumstances should you leave for Canada until you have obtained either your Student Study Permit or Letter of Introduction from the Canadian visa office abroad (unless you satisfy Immigration Canada’s requirements for students studying in Canada without a Study Permit).

The application fee for a Student Study Permit is $150.00 CDN. This fee does not guarantee a Study Permit will be issued. Please note that the fee is charged when you apply for your permit and whenever you need to extend it. You should request to have your initial Student Study Permit issued for the full term of your studies in Canada.

For any questions regarding these permits and documents, please visit the official Canadian Citizenship and Immigration website or visit your local Canadian consulate or embassy.

Below you will find links to all information regarding Canada’s Citizenship and Immigration regulations for studying in Canada:

Tuition and Fees

Acadia Divinity College does not charge international tuition fees, which means all our students pay the same price. You can find the list of tuition and academic fees by program here.

All international students are automatically enrolled in the Acadia Students’ Union (ASU) Health Plan and the Acadia Student Dental Plan:

International Health Plan Rates (for the 2020-2021 academic year):

    • Single Coverage: $775.00
    • Family Coverage: $1750.00

International Dental Plan Rates (for the 2020-2021 academic year):

    • Single Coverage: $165
    • Family Coverage: $365

Students have an opportunity to opt out of health and or dental by submitting a request at before September 30th for the fall semester, and January 31st for newly eligible winter semester students.  Proof of alternate extended health insurance is required to opt out of the health plan.  If an International student is located outside of Canada*, they will be able to opt out by self-identifying at to have the fees removed without proof of alternate coverage.  No proof is required to top out of the dental plan, but students must make the request at the portal.

For complete details regarding health and dental benefits for Acadia Students visit

*Normally, International students must be completing their studies within Nova Scotia to be eligible.  However, for the 2020-2021 Academic Year, due to travel restrictions, International students can be doing online studies in anywhere in Canada in order to be eligible for benefits on the ASU Medical/Health and Dental Plans.

Please note: Should you be successful in obtaining a study permit, upon arrival in Canada you must prove that you can support yourself, and the family member who come with you, while you are in Canada. Minimum funds needed to support yourself as a student includes both tuition and living expenses. As such, we strongly recommend that you pay tuition and fees before you arrive in Canada. For more information on proof of financial support, please review the guidelines provided on the Canadian Government’s website here.

Payment of Fees

You can pay your student fees via cheque, money order, bank transfer, bank draft, or traveler’s cheques. We strongly encourage you to pay your fees before you arrive in Canada. You can contact Acadia University Student Accounts about fees at (902) 585-1297 or email,

For more information, please visit Financial Services’ How to Pay page.

If you want to transfer your fee payment directly to the university account, Acadia’s bank details are as follows: (Reminder: Please quote your student number on the transfer to ensure it goes to your account.)

Bank of Montreal
424 Main Street
Wolfville, NS
B4P 1C9

Bank ID # 001
Bank Transit # 02063
Bank Account # 1010-842
BMO International (for Canadian or other currencies) (BIC) = BOFMCAM2
BMO Routing # (for US funds) (ABA) = 026005092
BMO Routing # (for European funds) (IBAN) = 02061010842

It may take several weeks for your funds to be transferred through regular banking channels. Your local bank should be able to tell you how long it will take to transfer funds to Canada. If you want to transfer funds by setting up a new bank account, banks in Wolfville include:

Royal Bank of Canada (
PO Box 640 Wolfville, Nova Scotia B4P 1E1 CANADA
Tel: (902) 542-2221 Fax: (902) 542-4639

Bank of Montreal (
PO Box 1000 Wolfville, Nova Scotia B4P 1C9 CANADA
Tel: (902) 542-2214 Fax: (902) 542-9293

Scholarships and Bursaries

The generosity of donors over time has made it possible for Acadia Divinity College to offer significant scholarship and bursaries to its students. Our financial assistance program ensures that every eligible student receives support every year.

ADC has two types of internal financial aid available to new students:

  • Entrance Scholarship: Awarded to applicants who have achieved the equivalent of an 80% average in their final year of high school or a minimum Cumulative Grade Point Average of 3.5 on their most recently completed degree. This scholarship is valued at $4,330 per year for the normal duration of the program you are accepted into.
  • Bursaries: For students who do not qualify for the Entrance Scholarship, once offered admission, they are invited to apply for financial aid bursaries. Amounts vary depending on the level of study.

Please note that we do not offer full scholarships. For more information on Scholarships and Bursaries, and their eligibility requirements, please visit our website here.

Students studying in Canada with a valid study permit issued after June 1, 2014 are permitted to work on or off-campus. This allows international students to work up to 20 hours per week during the regular academic session and full-time during scheduled breaks. For further details, please see:

Acadia Divinity College also offers College Assistantships. These positions run for the entire academic year and provide students income to help finance their education. For more information about available positions, visit our website here.

Your choice of accommodation will depend on personal preference, cost, and availability. The options include living on-campus in university residences or off-campus in commercial housing. Please note: There are no university residences that will accommodate families.

On-Campus Accommodations

Acadia’s 11 residences offer a prime location for accommodations, only minutes from your classrooms, the gym, and library. Living on campus offers the ease of an eight-month, all-inclusive lease which includes furniture, heat, power, water, local phone service, phone with call display, high speed internet, in-house laundry facilities, and regular cleaning of public areas. There is an all-female residence (Whitman/Tully House), mature students residences (Raymond House, Roy Jodrey House), and options for private or shared rooms. Residences are not open during the winter break in December, however, if you know for certain that you will not be returning home for the break, please indicated that on your accommodation application. Prices vary by residence, room type, and number of meals you choose. You can visit the Residence Life website for more information.

Please Note: On-campus accommodations are primarily for undergraduate students. There are limited spaces for graduate students and many choose to live off-campus as the students living on-campus are younger. Furthermore, there are no on-campus family accommodations. If you plan to bring your family with you to Canada while you study, you will need to arrange your own off-campus accommodations.

Off-Campus Accommodations

There are many apartments available close to the Acadia University campus. If you wish to live off-campus, you are responsible for finding your own accommodations. You must have a place to live before you arrive at Acadia.

Prices for off-campus housing varies depending on size, facilities, and location. Some apartments include the cost of utilities (electricity, heat, water, etc.) in the monthly rent, others do not. There is usually an 8-month or 12-month lease required for rental units. The average cost for living off-campus could ranges between $600 – $800 (CDN) per month for rent, $350 per month for food, and $300 per month in other expenses (utilities, internet, etc.).

If you are searching for off-campus accommodations, we recommend you visit Places4Students for more information about your options.

Have Questions?
Please Contact
Catherine Cole

Manager of Recruitment and Admissions

See Profile

Be in the Know

Acadia Divinity College is dedicated to equipping you with high-quality theological education and practical faith skills that are necessary for ministry now, in today’s world.With a distinguished history of preparing students for a variety of ministry roles, you will leave ADC prepared to serve effectively wherever God has called you to serve!