Several onsite resources are available to researchers.
Jarold K. Zeman Collection
This collection, donated to Acadia in 1991, consists of the professional library of Jarold Knox Zeman, Professor of Church History at the Acadia Divinity College from 1968 until retirement in 1991 and a renowned Canadian Baptist leader. It includes monographs, serials, and pamphlets relating to the Hussite and Anabaptist Movements in Europe, and numerous works on North American Baptist and Anabaptist history.
Watson Kirkconnell Collection
This collection, the private library of Dr. Watson Kirkconnell, ninth President of Acadia University, came to Acadia on his death in 1977. Kirkconnell was formerly a distinguished professor at McMaster University. He was a Milton scholar, translator of many poetic literatures – Icelandic, Hungarian, Polish, Ukrainian- to name a few. Kirkconnell was a founder of the Humanities Research Council of Canada and the Baptist Federation of Canada. This collection of monographs and serials exemplifies Kirkconnell’s broad interests.
Atlantic Baptist Archives
The archives preserves information for the Baptist churches in Atlantic Canada along with their governing organization, the Canadian Baptists of Atlantic Canada. Only a small selection of material dates from the 1700s to early 1800s; most of the records date from the late 1800s into the 21st century. The Baptist Historical Collection holds a wealth of information about the history of the Baptist faith, histories of churches in the region, and the activities of congregations. Missions at home and abroad are also found in this collection.
Acadia University maintains a digital repository of theses and dissertations written by its students in Acadia Scholar. Several of these works written throughout the years have used resources from the Atlantic Baptist Archives. View a list of these theses and dissertations, along with links to them, here
Sign Up for our E-Newsletter
Review these links for more information about Baptist and Anabaptist studies.
- American Baptist Historical Society
- Andrew Fuller Center for Baptist Studies
- Atlantic Baptist Built Heritage Project
- Baptist Historical Society of England and Wales
- Baptist History and Heritage Society
- Baptist Studies Center for Research
- Baptist Studies Online
- Canadian Baptist Historical Society
- Canadian Baptists of Atlantic Canada
- Centre for Anabaptist Studies
- Centre for Baptist History and Heritage
- Center for Baptist Studies
- Humanitas Anabaptist-Mennonite Centre
- Institute für Baptismusstudien im Theologischen Seminar Elstal
- Institute of Anabaptist and Mennonite Studies
- International Conference on Baptist Studies
- Toronto Mennonite Theological Centre