Acadia Divinity College exists as the Faculty of Theology of Acadia University. Founded in 1838, Acadia University is one of the oldest and most respected liberal arts universities in Canada. Located just a one-hour drive from Halifax, Nova Scotia and its international airport, Acadia is an integral part of the quintessential college town of Wolfville, overlooking the Annapolis Valley and the Bay of Fundy.
We are deeply rooted in Acadia University. The roots of theological education are well established in Acadia University. As early as 1830, Baptists in Nova Scotia formed a “department of pious scholars” at Horton Academy in Wolfville for ministerial training. With the founding of Acadia University in 1838, preparation for ministry was continued under various formats until the School of Theology was officially formed in 1923.
On June 1, 1968, the School of Theology was reconstituted as an affiliated College of the University. Acadia Divinity College was established with its own Board of Trustees and Senate, and the School of Theology was renamed the Faculty of Theology of Acadia University.