Acadia Divinity College invites applications for a full-time Professor of Church History.
The Faculty member will serve as a Professor of Church History in a team environment that places students at the centre of the educational experience, equipping them to lead with passion, purpose, skills, and knowledge to serve the mission of the Christian church in the reality of ever-changing cultures. The successful candidate will provide excellence and innovation in teaching and in research, and will promote appreciation and understanding of the Christian heritage, both in the College and in the wider constituency.
Specifically, the incumbent will be familiar with the potential and the challenges of equipping Christians to serve the church well in contemporary culture and will be able to teach Christian History in ways that will effectively equip church leaders.
The successful candidate will participate in, and contribute to, the life and mission of the Canadian Baptists of Atlantic Canada.
This is a tenure-track position. Academic rank will be determined based on qualifications and experience. A highly qualified candidate may be appointed to the Thomas James Armstrong Memorial Professorship of Church History. Additionally, in due course, the successful candidate may be appointed as Director of the Acadia Centre for Baptist and Anabaptist Studies.
- A completed Ph.D. in History with a focus on Christian History and an understanding of Baptist History, and must clearly demonstrate excellence in research and teaching as well as student mentorship. Experience in teaching at the seminary level is an asset.
- An ability to teach introductory and advanced courses in Christian History.
- An ability to supervise graduate student theses at the MA (Theology) and DMin levels.
- A clear familiarity with the potential and challenges of equipping Christians to serve the church well in contemporary culture.
- Familiarity with technology and the ability to use relevant technologies for teaching.
- A heart for supporting and equipping Christian leaders.
- A commitment to a local church.
Preference will be given to those with ministry experience in the local church and experience of teaching Christian History.
Application Date: Review of Applications will begin in February 2018 and continue until the position is filled.
Starting Date: July 1, 2018
Salary: Based on rank, qualifications, and experience
Applicants must be able to enthusiastically endorse and personally support the mission and affirm the theological position of the College. We make every effort to hire exceptional individuals. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
Acadia Divinity College is an evangelical seminary located on the campus of Acadia University in Wolfville, Nova Scotia, Canada, offering Bachelor of Theology, Master of Divinity, Master of Arts (Theology), and Doctor of Ministry degrees. Courses are taught on the main campus as well as at extension sites in Metro Halifax and New Brunswick.
Acadia Divinity College is governed by a Board of Trustees appointed by the Canadian Baptists of Atlantic Canada. It is an accredited seminary of the Association of Theological Schools in the United States and Canada. The College is certified by the Canadian Council of Christian Charities.
Qualified candidates wishing to be considered for this position should send:
- A letter of application;
- CV with names of at least three referees and their contact information; and,
- A teaching and research portfolio.
Dr. Harry Gardner, President
Acadia Divinity College
15 University Avenue
Wolfville, Nova Scotia, Canada B4P 2R6
A detailed job description is available upon request from Eveline DeSchiffart at firstname.lastname@example.org or 902-585-2213.
We thank all applicants in advance and advise that only those invited for an interview will be contacted.
The College reserves the right not to fill this position.